Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good partition setup for a dual boot system on a 1TB SSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is a good partition setup for a dual boot system on a 1TB SSD

Hi what is a good partition setup for dual booting using a 1TB ssd hard drive. I am thinking of shrinking my Windows partition to about 286GB or 386GB as current windows storage usage is around 88GB. So wondering what is a good safe size for system / and possibly the rest for /home.

Beans

Re: What is a good partition setup for a dual boot system on a 1TB SSD

What's best for you may be very different from what's best for us.

If this is your first install, just follow the installer defaults. Someday, when you have a good understanding of your real-world needs, you can reinstall differently. Many, many folks later reinstall with different settings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    What's best for you may be very different from what's best for us.

If this is your first install, just follow the installer defaults. Someday, when you have a good understanding of your real-world needs, you can reinstall differently. Many, many folks later reinstall with different settings.
    I know how to install Ubuntu but have not played around with Linux in like 10 years now. So ssry was doing the Windows gamming thing but now learning Python programming language and want to get into playing with Linux again. Planning on learning advanced terminal and bash scripting etc.

So is 30Gb still good for / ?
    Last edited by Omnios; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I use Kubuntu and no snaps.
    I am using about 16GB of a 30GB partition.

Since Ubuntu now defaults to use a lot of snaps, I have seen users with 20Gb of snaps only. So now larger / is often required.
    Only you may know how much data you have.

I prefer to keep / & /home in one partition (my 16GB used) and have data in other partition(s), but like to have some unallocated for future use. I normally have space for at least one more / as I use each LTS as main working install. So using 22.04 but have already installed 24.04 which will in a few days will be my main install. From RAM to NVMe drive it only took less than 10 minutes to install 24.04 and about an hour to reconfigure using mostly scripts to semi-automate updates & changes.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

What will you be using Ubuntu for? Without this we cannot advise any kind of layout.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    What will you be using Ubuntu for? Without this we cannot advise any kind of layout.
    Will be using as a daily driver for web surfing light gamming, but focus on learning Python programming, advanced terminal usage and bash scripting. Linux is like a toy its fun to play with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Omnios View Post
    Will be using as a daily driver for web surfing light gamming, but focus on learning Python programming, advanced terminal usage and bash scripting. Linux is like a toy its fun to play with.
    OK and what is the Windows side for?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK and what is the Windows side for?
    The windows partition will just be there in case I need it for something like a game or something. So generally it will not be used.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Omnios View Post
    The windows partition will just be there in case I need it for something like a game or something. So generally it will not be used.
    A game? Singular? Then I'd say 400Gb NTFS leaving the rest unpartitioned. Then boot to Ubuntu installer. Setup an LVM for the rest, then 50Gb for /, 1xRAM for swap and the rest for /home

Just how I'd do it. There is no single answer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A game? Singular? Then I'd say 400Gb NTFS leaving the rest unpartitioned. Then boot to Ubuntu installer. Setup an LVM for the rest, then 50Gb for /, 1xRAM for swap and the rest for /home

Just how I'd do it. There is no single answer
    Thanks for the help. So thinking I will shrink my windows partition to 386GB, 64GB for / and the rest for /home. But still not sure about a swap file size as I have an m.2 SSD and 16GB 2667 MHz ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast