Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install 12.X On Non-Responsive 10.04 Without Losing Data

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Install 12.X On Non-Responsive 10.04 Without Losing Data

There are a million and one choices of desktop environment other than Unity. That is one of the beauties of Linux/Ubuntu.

Try Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu (first two light and fast, Kubuntu a bit bloaty and not as quick). Or just try a couple of lightweight desktop environments; xfce4 (used by Xubuntu) or lxde (Lubuntu) installed into a regular Ubuntu install (choose 'Sessions' at the login screen). You are definitely NOT restricted to Unity if you want to upgrade to a newer release (and eventually you will if you want to be using a supported release - we don't support EOL (end-of-life) releases here anymore).

To install xfce4 in a Ubuntu install, simply:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    ... log out, choose xfce4-session from 'Session' and login. 'lxde' for lxde. Same procedure. You can also install either from the Software Centre. Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 22nd, 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a follow-up - Thank you to all of you for your help.

My files are backed up. My Grub working like a champ, and I've got 14.04LTS installed on my Laptop with Xubuntu's desktop purring along.

I've been running 10.04LTS (the antique) because it does everything I like the way I like it, and to date, none of the Ubuntu's I tried between 10.04 and 12++ worked very well, were very stable, nor did they perform how I liked. I'm testing out an upgrade from 10.04 to 14.04 now though as that seems fairly nice and fairly stable.

You all have my deep gratitude for your patience and expertise!

Orion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Great news! I love xfce4. Enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12